Monday, November 22, 2010

ROASTED BRUSSEL SPROUTS with FENNEL and SHIITAKE MUSHROOMS

I hated Brussels sprouts for so long until I tried them roasted. Roasting them brings out a nutty flavor that cuts some of their bitterness. I found this recipe in my Clean Foods cookbook. It was very easy to throw together, so I was able to make a lot of it for a potluck. My one warning is to watch them carefully in the oven. I threw them in then ran to take a quick shower and they were already burning 10-15 minutes later (though the recipe says 25). They may need more frequent stirring than the recipe suggests. Also I recommend using the suggested 9x12 in. baking dish. I had apple crisp in both of mine, so I used a metal baking sheet, which I think contributed to the burning. Also, I didn't follow the directions and sliced the mushroom caps and crushed the garlic and shallots. I recommend leaving everything whole. Despite a little overcooking, the Brussels sprouts were delicious and a huge hit. Try these for real! Serves 6.


Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Fennel and Shiitake Mushrooms

1 1/2 lbs Brussels sprouts
4 shallots
10 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 lb shiitake mushroom caps
1 large fennel bulb
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh tarragon or rosemary
sea salt/pepper

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

2. Prepare brussels sprouts by cutting away tough root ends and removing blemished outer leaves. Slice in half lengthwise and place in a large bowl. Add shallots, garlic, and mushroom caps.

3. Prepare fennel by trimming off dried root end and slicing bulb thinly widthwise. Add to vegetables and toss with olive oil, vinegar, tarragon/rosemary, salt, and pepper.

4. Place in a 9x12 glass or ceramic baking dish and roast uncovered for 25 minutes. Stir and roast for 25 minutes more. Remove and serve.

Side note: I just looked on Wikipedia to see whether or not Brussels sprouts had to be capitalzed (it doesn't), and learned that overcooking Brussels sprouts releases glucosinolate sinigrin, which has a sulfurous taste and odor. So many people may dislike Brussels sprouts because they have only had them overcooked. If steaming or boiling them, they only need 6-7 minutes. So don't overcook your sprouts!

1 comment:

  1. Yayy this looks great; I think I might make it for Thxgiving!

    ReplyDelete